Individuals who exhibit symptoms such as seizures and rapid heartbeat should immediately consult a cardiologist in Karachi. The doctor will conduct relevant tests to determine the cause and its severity. It will help in opting the suitable treatment to prevent damage to the vital organs.
Long QT syndrome is a heart rhythm disorder in which the individual experiences fast and chaotic heartbeats. It causes the patient to remain dizzy, which can lead to physical injury. Women are more likely to suffer from long QT syndrome. There is no permanent cure for the disorder; however, the treatment options are proven effective in managing the symptoms.
The symptoms of Long QT Syndrome are:
- Individuals who suddenly faint should discuss their symptoms with a doctor. Individuals with Long QT syndrome can go unconscious without any prior medical reasoning.
- The patient experiences rapid heartbeats that can lead to anxiety and difficulty breathing.
- The patient remains dizzy most of the time.
- The individual may suffer from seizures at any time. It can lead to a physical injury and affect movement.
- The individual who experiences the change in heartbeat for more than two minutes must call for medical help, as it can become the reason for death.
The known causes of Long QT Syndrome are:
- The muscles take longer to recharge, which affects the functioning of the heart, leading to the symptoms of long QT syndrome.
- Individual with family members suffering from heart diseases is more likely to suffer from long QT syndrome.
- Individuals who use antidepressants, antihistamines, antibiotics, and diuretics for a long time are at a higher risk of suffering from long QT syndrome. Hence, it is essential to know the side effects of the medications before using them without a prescription.
- The electrolyte abnormally in the body can affect bodily functioning. People with low calcium, potassium, and magnesium levels are at a higher risk of suffering from long QT syndrome.
- Individuals suffering from gastroenterological disorders must maintain their electrolyte levels to reduce complications, such as long QT syndrome.
People must maintain a healthy lifestyle and avoid using illicit drugs such as cocaine and amphetamines, which can affect the functioning of the heart. Similarly, people must know the side effects of the medications and take alternatives if they have a family history of heart disease.
Individuals may suffer from anxiety and stress, which can worsen the condition and lead to arrhythmia. Hence, people must learn breathing and relaxation techniques that can help avoid complications and enhance their overall psychological and physical health.
The tests that help diagnose an individual with long QT syndrome are:
- The electrocardiogram test helps check the electrical activities and detect the abnormality indicating that the person may be suffering from long QT syndrome.
- The Holter monitor is a portable ECG device, that helps detect abnormity in electrical activities.
- The Non-medication stress test helps detect the changes in the heart rhythm after giving adrenaline.
- Genetic testing helps detect the presence of genes responsible for LQTS.
The medications and procedures that are known to help manage the symptoms of long QT syndrome are:
- Use of Beta Blockers: The medication helps slow the heart rate.
- Anti-Arrhythmic Drugs: The medication helps reduce the QT interval to provide instant relief.
- Dietary Supplements: The medication helps manage the levels of potassium, magnesium, and calcium, which help maintain the heart rhythm.
- Left Cardiac Sympathetic Denervation Surgery: The procedures help reduce the risk of sudden death and avoid further complications.
- ICD Placement: The implantable cardioverter-defibrillators help detect the abnormity in the heart rhythm.
Individuals diagnosed with long QT syndrome must discuss their symptoms with a specialist at Fauji Foundation Hospital. The specialist will provide information regarding effective and latest treatment options to enhance the overall physical health.